Experience the Round Rock Junior Police Academy
The Junior Police Academy (JPA) is a nationwide program with a 20-year history of emphasizing community responsibility among young citizens and public servants. During the summer months, the Round Rock Police Department hosts free, week-long camps to strengthen the connection between law enforcement and local youth by giving them a chance to see what it is like to be a police officer.
Modeled after the law enforcement police academy, the camp features physical training including an obstacle course, marching, and repelling. Students also view the inside of patrol and SWAT vehicles, K-9 units, and a police helicopter. The camp’s curriculum includes traffic safety, criminal investigations, alcohol and drug prevention/education, and self-defense. Campers also take local field trips.
The 2023 Junior Police Academy will host five Monday through Thursday (8:00am-5:00pm) sessions:
- Session 1: June 5-8 (8 and 9-year-olds)
- Session 2: June 12-15 (10 and 11-year-olds)
- Session 3 ALL FEMALE ONLY: June 26-29 (12 to 14-year-olds)
- Session 4: July 10-13 (12 to 14-year-olds)
- Session 5: July 24-27 (8 and 9-year-olds)
The application window for the 2023 Junior Police Academy will open on March 7th, 2023, at 8:00 a.m. There will be a link to the application on this page starting March 7th, 2023.
Notification emails of ACCEPTANCE or DENIALS into the 2023 Junior Police Academy will be sent no later than March 31st, 2023.
PLEASE NOTE: Session 3 will be an ALL-FEMALE Junior Police Cadet class for 12 to 14-year-olds.
JPA Summer Camp Requirements:
- Between the ages of 8 and 14
- Round Rock residents who live inside the city limits (Applications are accepted for Round Rock Extra Territorial Jurisdiction residents, however first consideration for campers is given to Round Rock residents.)
- Attend school in Round Rock ISD, a Round Rock Charter or Home School.
The camp is made possible thanks to the Round Rock Police Department, Round Rock ISD, The Round Rock Police Foundation, and the support of community members. The Department is able to provide this program annually through local sponsorships and partnerships with the community. The Junior Police Academy welcomes donations and sponsors to assist with food, equipment, and snacks for participants. If you would like to sponsor or make a donation, please call 512-218-5500 or email [email protected].
Source: City of Round Rock