Buy emergency preparation supplies tax free April 23-25
You can purchase certain emergency preparation supplies tax free during this weekend’s Emergency Preparation Supplies Sales Tax Holiday. There is no limit on the number of qualifying items you can purchase, and you do not need to issue an exemption certificate to claim the exemption.
This year’s holiday begins at 12:01 a.m. on Saturday, April 23, and ends at midnight on Monday, April 25.
Although Round Rock recently experienced a tornado, these emergency supplies can help during other types of events such as fires or freezing temperatures.
There’s no limit on the number of qualifying items you can purchase. These include:
- Hurricane shutters and emergency ladders priced at less than $300;
- Portable generators priced at less than $3,000; and
- The following items if priced at less than $75:
- Batteries, single or multipack (AAA cell, AA cell, C cell, D cell, 6 volt or 9 volt)
- Can openers – nonelectric
- Carbon monoxide detectors
- Coolers and ice chests for food storage – nonelectric
- Fire extinguishers
- First aid kits
- Fuel containers
- Ground anchor systems and tie-down kits
- Ice products – reusable and artificial
- Light sources – portable self-powered (including battery operated)Examples of items include: candles, flashlights and lanterns
- Mobile telephone batteries and mobile telephone chargers
- Radios – portable self-powered (including battery operated) – includes two-way and weather band radios
- Smoke detectors
- Tarps and other plastic sheeting
For purchases made online, note that delivery, shipping, handling and transportation charges are part of the sales price.
Several over-the-counter self-care items, such as antibacterial hand sanitizer, soap, spray and wipes, are always exempt from sales tax if they are labeled with a “Drug Facts” panel in accordance with federal Food and Drug Administration (FDA) regulations.
Purchases that do not qualify include:
- Medical masks and face masks
- Cleaning supplies, such as disinfectants and bleach wipes
- Gloves, including leather, fabric, latex and types used in healthcare
- Toilet paper
- Batteries for automobiles, boats and other motorized vehicles
- Camping stoves
- Camping supplies
- Extension ladders
- Repair or replacement parts for emergency preparation supplies
- Services performed on, or related to, emergency preparation supplies
A list of emergency preparation supplies that may be purchased tax-free can be found on the Comptroller’s website.
The post Buy emergency preparation supplies tax free April 23-25 appeared first on City of Round Rock.
Source: City of Round Rock