TxDOT updates FM 3406 bridge project
The Texas Department of Transportation on Friday, June 30, provided the following update on the I-35 at FM 3406 (Old Settlers Boulevard) project:
We have been working closely with the contractor to identify innovative ways to lessen the construction impact on drivers and shorten the overall construction timeline. We appreciate your patience during these efforts.
As you may be aware, the project includes the reconstruction of the FM 3406 bridge. Reconstruction of the FM 3406 bridge will occur in phases.
Phase 1 – Currently under construction
- Complete the southbound to northbound U-turn bridge and prepare for FM 3406 westbound detour
Phase 2 – Approximately 10 months beginning Fall 2017, weather permitting
- Detour westbound FM 3406 traffic on to the new U-turn bridge
- Close FM 3406 bridge to eastbound traffic
- During this time, eastbound traffic will detour south along the I-35 frontage road, and make a non-signalized U-turn at US 79. Please see the detour map for more information and other routes
- Demolish and reconstruct FM 3406 bridge
Phase 3 – Approximately 2 months, weather permitting
- Open FM 3406 bridge to two-way traffic, including turn lanes
- Open northbound to southbound U-turn bridge
- Close southbound to northbound U-turn bridge to remove temporary westbound detour
Phase 4 – Spring 2019
- Complete frontage road improvements
- Open project
The above phases are anticipated to shorten the overall construction timeline by approximately two months, weather permitting. Once the bridge is reopened, the majority of the bridge work that impacts drivers will be complete. There will be two lanes in each direction as well as left and right-turn lanes to the I-35 frontage road from FM 3406.
In addition to the detour, bridge construction will require some overnight I-35 mainlane closures to set beams and pour concrete.
While these improvements are under construction, TxDOT will do everything we can to minimize disruptions and keep you informed. Prior to the eastbound detour, TxDOT will do the following outreach activities:
- Email neighborhood associations, adjacent properties and other stakeholders with information about the detour, including alternative routes
- Include information in the Mobility35 e-Newsletter
- Meet with adjacent business leaders in the area to inform them of the detour and address concerns
- Coordinate with Williamson County, the City of Round Rock, Round Rock Independent School District, emergency services and other sister agencies in the area
- Post latest construction information on My35Construction.org/fm-3406
We appreciate your patience while these much-needed improvements are constructed. I have attached a project fact sheet and detour map with more information. Please let me know if I can answer any additional questions.
Public Information Officer
TxDot Austin District
7901 North I-35
Austin, TX 78753
Source: City of Round Rock